Adhering to the layout of Discrete-Event System Simulation* ("DESS"), by Banks et al., the eTextbook, ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation, uses ExtendSim as a pedagogical tool to explore and expand upon the principles discussed in the DESS book.
*Note: The 5th edition of Discrete-Event System Simulation is required for use with this eTextbook and must be obtained separately.
This use of ExtendSim makes simulation concepts more easily communicated by instructors and more accessible to students.
- Use ExtendSim to visually explore concepts such as entities, attributes, events, activities, and delays
- Interactively examine the characteristics of single-server and multi-server queueing systems
- Learn about event scheduling, random number generation, and the proper use of random distributions
- Run trials and experiments on DESS examples using the Student version of ExtendSim
ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation includes:
- Easy-to-use and informative ExtendSim implementations of DESS examples
- Selected solutions to end-of-chapter exercises
- ExtendSim tutorials specifically designed for the DESS book
- Supplemental discussions based on the DESS chapters
- Access to supplemental Instructor material
- A limited (student) version of the ExtendSim software
NOTE: If you own ExtendSim, you may already have access to this textbook. "ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation" is included in every ExtendSim 8.0.1 and higher license.
ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation is licensed for your personal use on a single computer (or on one work computer of the Authorized User and on one home or portable computer of the Authorized User.) It is covered by a License Agreement that restricts its use, deployment, and distribution. Among other restrictions, unless you have obtained the prior written consent of Imagine That Inc. you may not allow others to access the use or functionality of ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation, nor include it on a CD or any other media. See the ExtendSim License Agreement for complete terms.
Operating Systems & Purchasing Information
Versions of ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation are available for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems. By clicking on "Add To Cart" below, you will be downloading the Windows version:
- The Windows version is available as either Download Only ($100) or Boxed Set ($125). If ordering the Boxed Set, a CD containing the software will be shipped to you as well as an optional download link emailed to you. (Note: shipping charges will apply for the Boxed Set.)
- If you are using Macintosh OS X 10.7 or newer, please download this Windows version and use Boot Camp Assistant (or similar application) to run the Windows version on your Mac.
- The Macintosh version of ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation runs only on OS X 10.6.8 and earlier systems. Please click here to access the purchasing page for the Mac version of ExtendSim for Discrete-Event System Simulation or contact Imagine That Inc.
Electronic versions of the ExtendSim User Guide and Developer Reference are included in the download.
Discounts for students and educators are available. (Contact Imagine That Inc. to see if you qualify.)
After purchase, you will receive an email with the download link and ExtendSim serial number. The download link will be available for one year or 5 download attempts so please make a back up copy of the installer file you download.